The Rubens are a five-piece band, made up of brothers Sam, Elliott and Zaac Margin and good friends Scott Baldwin and William Zeglis. Since their formation in 2011, they have won over a legion of fans across Australia and beyond, with their rich, soulful take on blues rock.
To begin the year, the band beat Kendrick Lamar, Major Lazer & Tame Impala to #1 on Triple J’s Hottest 100 chart following in the footsteps of previous Australian winners Vance Joy and Chet Faker. Building on this triumph, they announced their 2016 national tour which includes a Hordern Pavilion in Sydney and Margaret Court Arena in Melbourne.
It’s been a hell of a ride for The Rubens since the release of Hoops last year, and it’s only the beginning as the band head state side to launch the release of the album in the USA.
“‘Hoops’ always gets the crowd moving at their awesome live shows. After just a few listens the song makes you feel like you’ve been hearing it for years.” - Ollie Wards, Triple J Content Director
- Release of sophomore album HOOPS:
- #2 ARIA Chart
- #3 iTunes album chart
- SOLD OUT, 22 date, national HOOPS album tour, including two shows at The Forum, Melbourne and an Enmore Theatre, Sydney show.
- Highlight, main stage, performance at Splendour in the Grass Festival.
- HOOPS single certified PLATINUM sales.
- Debut self-titled album The Rubens certified PLATINUM.
- HOOPS Triple J Feature Album.
- Won Rock Work of the Year - 2013 APRA Award for My Gun.
- Best Video – 2012 ARIA Music Awards nomination for My Gun.
- Best Album – 2012 J Award for debut album The Rubens